Friday, April 13, 2007

brazil at crossroads? halfwaybetween fecundity and frustration.... halfway between progress and inertia...

I typically end up changing once a decade my favorite magazine. When I was in my low 20s it was Wired Magazine, and in my early 30s it is The Economist. On their edition this week they have an article I loved about Brazil called "Land of Promise".

I moved to live in Brazil on mid '02 and a couple of fine books on Brazil landed on my hands, the first one was called "Brazil, the once and future country", and the other was "Brazil's second chance". Those formed key opinions about the tremendous opportunities and big challenges that the country faces. The first book starts brilliantly quoting an anonymous brazilian saying that goes like this: "Brazil is the country of the future", and will always be. The other painted an almost-there state (didn't forecast the big mess created by the '02 election process).

Several years living in Brazil exposed me further to those contradictions between shiny potential and frustrating lack of progress, but I have to give to The Economist.. they "get it" this time in their article. Hopefully the way to its great future state ends up being less patchy than the rollercoaster history of the country.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home